Wisconsin Needs A Moral Compass

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Tick, tick, tick.....

The clock is ticking as August 2nd comes in to view. What will the decision of our elected representatives and senators, our speaker of the house, our president be on the raising or not raising the debt ceiling and chopping SS, Medicare and Medicaid?

While T-Paw tells us our president is not smarter than a fifth grader, Michelle Bachman's husband is scrambling to deny that his "counseling center" is not offering "ex-gay" therapy, our governor signed in to law his "guns in public" legislation. According to WAVE - Wisconsin Anti-Violence Effort, this law will now allow loaded, hidden guns in to bars, restaurants and other businesses where they just do not belong. Business owners do have the option of posting signs alerting the public that loaded guns are not allowed in their buildings, but they have to be posted where everyone can see them. WAVE reports that "two out of very three Wisconsinites say they will feel less safe, not safer, with guns in public places."

As my son said not long ago when we talked about the potential for a concealed carry law in Wisconsin - "Now let's see, how could this situation (some altercation in a bar, a fight on the street, a protest march, standing in line too long at the grocery store) be improved? Oh, that's right, add guns!" He's so spot on. Adding loaded, hidden guns to the volatility of our society right now will surely improve any situation won't it? What are Walker and his Walker Worshipers thinking??!!

I try to envision the places we like to frequent. We go to this little custard/hamburger bungalow maybe once a week. This guy makes the best burgers but once in a while some jerk has a problem with his sandwich and fusses over the issue at the counter. What would happen if this guy carried a gun and couldn't settle down or felt the owner wasn't being fair? Am I being too dramatic? I don't think so. How about shopping at the local mall? You've seen this, too. A woman is irate that her pj buttons came off after she washed the garment and is demanding her money back plus damages. (I actually had that happen to me when I worked retail) She is bright red and shaking. What if she had a gun? If she had been in a fight with her husband, been drinking? Not everyone shops at the mall in the late morning after coffee with the girls, some shop after Happy Hour!

There's a movie I like - L.A. Story with Steve Martin. It's a spoof on life in Los Angeles. In one scene Steve and his girlfriend are on the freeway. Steve realizes it's "open season on the LA freeway!" and pulls out his gun. They zoom along trying to avoid people in trucks and other cars shooting everywhere. Is this what eating at Applebees will be like on Hectic Fridays? Or dropping in somewhere for a drink on a Saturday night? Open Season for people with their brand new shiny hidden and loaded guns?

So, it's just another step by the outlaw Walker Administration - Gunslingers for Hire. But I decided on a plan of action for myself. From here on I am going to ask the workers or owners at the places I like to go if they are supportive of people bringing in hidden loaded guns. If the answer to that is a shrug, an I don't really care attitude, it's the law so what can I do kind of thing or yes, by all means I am thrilled to have loaded guns in my establishment, then I will tell them that I will no longer be eating or shopping there nor will I be recommending their business to others.

Power To The Town's People!

P.S. Keep your ears and eyes on this debt crises - it has monumental implications! In fact the Republicans should be ashamed and shamed. Their intransigence is frightening seniors. A talk with my elderly mother-in-law this morning left me feeling angry at Boehner et al for what they are doing to the nerves of elders. They are afraid their little trickle of Social Security income will dry up and be gone and then what will happen to them? Shame on these Rethuglians. Tick, tick, tick!

No comments:

Post a Comment